Title: Recreation & Events Coordinator Pay Level: 4
Department: Marketing & Events Classification: Non-Exempt/ Hourly
Reporting Level: General Manager Supervises: Occasional Event Volunteers
Interrelationships: Works closely with park crew, grooming, lifts, patrol, F&B, ski clubs, competition teams, marketing.
Job Summary: The Recreation & Events Coordinator’s primary responsibility is to coordinate and produce all winter events. This includes safely transporting heavy equipment to and from venues, organizing, executing, and evaluating all events. Recreation & Events is a part of Marketing. Much of the work is conducted outdoors in the on-mountain arena. Additional work will be conducted in the Marketing Office located in the main lodge.
- Able to engage in repetitive body motion involving upper body torque during the transportation of equipment for course/event preparation. Must be able to sustain heavy physical exertion, up to 6 to 10 hours daily. Ability to lift smaller weights from 25 lbs. repetitively and up to 50 lbs. occasionally, often in awkward positions. Required to twist, stoop/bend, squat, kneel, grasp with both hands and ski/snowboard continuously throughout a shift.
- Ski/snowboard with up to 50 lbs. of weight in arms or on back. Ability to work under varying weather conditions, often extreme in nature.
- Able to stand or sit for long periods in both cold and hot temperatures. Vision and long-distance hearing are necessary to complete certain tasks.
- Non-smoking environment.
- High school graduate or GED equivalent required. 4-year degree preferred.
- Must be able to ski while carrying heavy loads in all conditions. Advanced skier or snowboarder preferred. Must be confident functioning on snow and ice, including driving, operating snowmobiles, walking, etc.
- Highly efficient and effective organizational skills. Effective verbal and written communication skills. Effective guest relations and employee relation skills. Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email, and graphic understanding required. Basic electronics (sound equipment and power).
- Ability to multi-task and work in challenging weather conditions required.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse group of people and be able to handle a variety of tasks and challenging situations, in a calm and professional manner.
- Must have a team player attitude and be able to work with people of diverse cultures and ethnicities.
- Ability to provide accurate information and maintain a good attitude during stressful situations.
- Per MAA Vehicle Insurance standards: must be at least 18 years of age and possess a valid driver’s license and the ability to be added to MAA’s vehicle insurance policy.
- CPR Certification preferred.
- Coordinate all winter special events and mountain activities, specifically, but not limited to: public races, race leagues, snowboard events, torchlight parades, USSA and local races/competitions, charity, children’s, and community events. Work to coordinate components of events in a safe manner and fulfill sponsorship agreements.
- Debrief each event with key parties to review opportunities and risks. Bring creativity and freshness to events.
- Fulfil different event needs to produce high quality, professional events including volunteer coordination, banners/sponsor work, registration and results, timing, announcing of events, support and equipment allocation. Coordinate carrying of event equipment to featured destinations using skis and snowmobiles. Set up, maintain, and run timing and/or audio systems.
- Maintain a safe and cautious work environment while always working within one’s abilities and skill level.
- Create a highly animated, fun, and exciting area surrounding each event.
- Work with terrain park crew to help satisfy park needs and needs of park events. Develop and maintain relationships with all other departments on the mountain, local businesses, and sponsors/alliances. Must have, or develop, extensive knowledge of Mt. Ashland facilities and activities.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and regular safety meetings.
- Responsible for providing all outdoor gear (including ski pants, boots, and skis/snowboard). A ski jacket is provided.
Performs other duties as assigned.
If the above job description is your jam, please fill out the application information below. We will contact qualified applicants to set up an interview soon.