Cross-Country Skiing and Snowshoeing at Mt. Ashland
Numerous opportunities exist for those wishing to go cross-country skiing or snowshoeing at Mt. Ashland. Here are a few trail descriptions:
- Road NF-200 – This road begins a few feet to the west of the entrance to the walkway to the Mt. Ashland Lodge. Take this trail downhill from the Lodge to the East. The trail takes a downhill slope for several miles to Bull Gap. At about one mile, there is a switchback with gorgeous views of Pilot Rock and Mt. Shasta.
- Mt. Ashland Summit – This trail begins at the gate at the back of Mt. Ashland’s overflow parking area. From the gate, travel about one mile on Road 20 (just past the trailhead, there is a junction – go right) to the intersection with Road 300. Take Road 300 uphill past about 5 switchbacks to the Summit.
- Grouse Gap Shelter – This trail begins at the gate at the back of Mt. Ashland’s overflow parking area. From the gate, travel about 2 miles on road 20 and follow the signs to the Shelter.
*Mt. Ashland does not rent cross-country skis or snowshoes.*
- Mountain Provisions in Ashland on the plaza rents cross-country skis and snowshoes. You can call them at 541-708-6350.
- Blackbird rents snowshoes, cross country gear, skis and snowboards. You can call them at 541-779-5431
- Get-N-Gear rents cross country and snowshoes. You can call them at 541-482-5181 (this is also a great place if you are looking for used gear, clothing, etc.)
- Rogue Ski Shop does not rent anything.
- Sleds can be purchased anywhere – no rentals are available.